 Off-Topic / Debate / 24221
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 03:50:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Unless the attack was something on the order of a nuke on Washington D.C., I can’t imagine a good reason for delaying the election. Only a delay for logistical reasons would be valid IMO.

   But back to Bush-- if a nuke is detonated in D.C., I would have no problem with Marshall Law until things were set right.

   Ummm, I take it that you aren’t going to answer the question...

I’m confused. It seems that John’s answer was very clear from the snipped quotes above.

It’s clear? Did he mean Marshal Law the comic? Martial law? I’m so confused... ;-)

I’m sorry. I was referring to “Marshall Crenshaw” (or was that cole slaw.... perhaps I meant Cole Porter, or maybe even Coalporter) Yeah, that’s the ticket! (What’s that you say, Scott? More plagarism???)

1. “A delay for logistical reasons would be valid.” Expanding on John’s point, I would suggest that something such as Dave’s hypothetical about a power outage that shut down voting in certain regions would require a delay. Anything more than a few days would, however, be unacceptable.

I think Dave!’s scenario implies a longer term than “a few days”, otherwise there isn’t a lot of point to the question. Basically John is restating the question into one that allows him a more palatable answer. The answers he gives in themselves are perfectly valid for the scenarios he spins, but I think they carefully avoid the real meat of the question.

Come on, the question was pretty vague. I tried to answer by providing specific scenarios and my reaction to them. I’m sorry if that appeared to be a dodge to you. I’ve have you know that I’m saving my dodges for a lot harder questions than that;-)

What is wrong with this answer? “Only a delay for logistical reasons would be valid IMO.”

JOHN