 Off-Topic / Debate / 24220
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:49:33 GMT

   I think that there would be a very real possibility that Kerry would win the election because everyone would blame Bush (as what happened in Spain).

This is a point worth unpacking. Although the election in Spain was influenced by the train bombing, the fact that most of the Spanish electorate opposed the Iraq war was as least as important. In the US, the drumbeat for war was communicated more far more pervasively than in Spain, so a greater percentage of Americans supported the invasion of Iraq (basically because Saddam posed an imminent threat and because he orchestrated the 9/11 attacks, remember?). With this in mind, a pre-election-day attack would by no means guarantee a Kerry victory, even if Bush were demonstrated to be culpably negligent in preventing the attack.

You may indeed be correct; I can tell you that if we did get attacked, you can bet that conservatives would fear a “Spanish response”, and would spin the attack as an attempt by al-Qaeda to influence the outcome in order to elect Kerry (who, presumably in the eyes of the terrorists would be softer on terrorism). “A vote for Kerry is a vote for al-Qaeda”.

I agree with you and -->Bruce<-- that the outcome of such an attack is far harder to predict than how things played out in Spain, and such an attack would get the spin-doctors on both sides working overtime!

JOHN