 Off-Topic / Debate / 24211
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:53:57 GMT

   Here’s a hypothetical:

Let’s suppose a major event occurs between now and November 2, something on the order of 9/11. Now let’s suppose that Dubya’s administration either postpones or cancels the Presidential election in the wake of the disaster, citing the need for consistent leadership and contiuity of policy, both of which would be compromised by a change of President.

How would you Conservatives react to this? Would you be relieved, since it would mean an automatic extension of Dubya’s reign (and near carte blanche to do whatever he wants with the Executive and Judicial branches)? Or would you cry foul, since it would amount to a declaration of dictatorship?

(puts conservative hat on;-) Well, first, I wouldn’t ever be happy that an attack on the order of 9-11 would occur. Frankly, I share your suspicion (if that is indeed where you are going) that an attack will occur on our soil to influence our election (presumabley to elect Kerry), a la in Spain. Unless the attack was something on the order of a nuke on Washington D.C., I can’t imagine a good reason for delaying the election. Only a delay for logistical reasons would be valid IMO.

I would also hope that if an attack occurred and Kerry were to be elected (frankly, I think that is his only hope of getting elected), he would take it as a personal insult and deal even more harshly with terrorism than Bush.

But back to Bush-- if a nuke is detonated in D.C., I would have no problem with Marshall Law until things were set right. What would be terrible would be to have to deal with such a calamity on one hand, and have Liberal hacks screaming “dictatorship” on the other.

JOHN

Ummm, I take it that you aren’t going to answer the question...

Let’s see: you basically blamed Kerry for any attack (and ignored that Americans traditionally rally around the incumbent if attacked, which means any attack is actually an aid to Bush). And then hoped Kerry would attack the attackers. And then described a worst case scenario and pre-apologized that it any delays would be “just temporary” while working in yet another attack of liberal “hacks”.

Basically, my opinion is if every other President during a war could stand for election, I’d say Bush must do so or face utter self-destruction.

But I’d say that about Kerry or Clinton, too.

-->Bruce<--