 Off-Topic / Debate / 24182
Re: From Richard: "It's all bad news - Chaos is my fault"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:07:39 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:

   “Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.” - Albert Einstein

But it is achieved by force.

You mean like in Israel/Palestine? Or do you mean like in WW1?

First, Israel’s restraint has perpetuated the conflict with the Palestinians. The conflict could have easily been ended as far back as in 1967 after the victory in the 6 Day War.

WWI is a classic example illustrating my point. There was no resounding victory that ended WWI; peace was not achieved by force, but by negotiation. This false peace, of course, led to WWII, which was ended by force and has lasted.

I guess I should have clarified: when I said “force”, I meant a kind of force that dictates unconditional surrender.

The “understanding” comes after victory is achieved so that the defeated country is treated in such a way so as to insure effective assimilation back into the world of civilized nations.

JOHN

Actually, I’d cite WWI as a great example of what Ross was getting at: Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. The key word you are missing is “kept”. If there ever was a lack of understanding destined not to be able to maintain peace, the resolution to WWI was it. It had little to do with how the initial cessation of hostilities was achieved - and the allies treated Germany as if they had won by victory on the battlefield, anyway.

-->Bruce<--