 Off-Topic / Debate / 24116
Re: From Richard: "It's all bad news - Chaos is my fault"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 19:06:25 GMT

Well, part of the reason that people in third-world nations have 10 kids is
because 80% of those kids will likely die before puberty.  Obviously that's not
an inviolable statistic, and just as obviously it's not the only cause of skewed
population growth, but it's a big factor.  As a remedy, we first world nations
should probably consider other forms of aid than abstinence-based education.
Further, if first world nations faced a similar youth-based mortality rate, then
we'd see a revision of the 2.1 rule.

You don't actually have to look to the 3rd world to see the problem.  It
exists in your own backyard.  The have-nots everywhere seem to reproduce
faster.  The imbalance will always exist, maybe it's programmed into our
genes.  You can bicker over politics all you want, but this problem is
gonna boil over soon no matter who runs what country and how.  Meanwhile
you might as well enjoy the little things.  Especially those colorful
little plastic things.

Enjoy,

Don