 Off-Topic / Debate / 24113
Re: From Richard: "It's all bad news - Chaos is my fault"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 18:43:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

<snip>

Richard
Still baldly going...

Now this is why I hang out here..

Very nicely stated, Richard.

Hmmm, I thought it was a bit long winded and sort of lost track at
the per capita part.  In my politically incorrect world it seems a
large part of the problem is those darned capitas.  The third world
produces so many of them it messes up the whole per thing.  In first
world public school we were beaten senseless with the "no more than 2.1
per" mantra.  But following that rule in the first world, and not in
the 3rd leads to an even greater imbalance between the per capitas.
I think that's the real reason for all the really nasty problems, but
I don't know how to fix it.

Well, part of the reason that people in third-world nations have 10 kids is
because 80% of those kids will likely die before puberty.  Obviously that's not
an inviolable statistic, and just as obviously it's not the only cause of skewed
population growth, but it's a big factor.  As a remedy, we first world nations
should probably consider other forms of aid than abstinence-based education.

Further, if first world nations faced a similar youth-based mortality rate, then
we'd see a revision of the 2.1 rule.

Dave!