 Off-Topic / Debate / 24103
Re: What's a freedom fighter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 16:17:43 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

And there’s no denying that convict beginnings has a lot to do with Australia’s cultural identity, including our general cynicism in relation to all authority, its motives and its practices.

One of our more endearing qualities ;-)

Then we may be the same.

C /be/have been/

   Our FF were very wary of government and set up our Constitution to basically protect the people’s freedom from the government they were establishing.

Too bad we’ve deviated so far from that in the 200+ years since then.

c.f. the Patriot Act for instance.

++Lar (who just got a telemarketing call from the GOP with one of those quasi surveys... after answering a few questions in completely opposite ways to what the script predicted, the telemarketer finally asked, “Gee, you’re not a Republican, are you?”)