 Off-Topic / Debate / 24045
Re: From Reason: "It's all bad news - Chaos in occupied Iraq"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 18:31:06 GMT

   Yes, it’s a brutal, premeditiated act, but at least it wasn’t an institutional (and, apparently, officially endorsed) effort to dehumanize the very people we’ve been claiming to liberate.

I believe we are talking about rogues, not policy, because that kind of behavior serves absolutely no useful purpose (as an intelligence gathering strategy, that is).

I agree with the latter part; torture is notoriously unreliable as an information source. However, it is becoming increasingly clear that the torture at Abu Ghraib (and likely elsewhere) was endorsed by high ranking military personnel, up to at least the level of General.

   But we have been vigilant and condemned the behavior and are punishing the perps. Where is the same indignation from Berg’s executioners? There, of course, is none, because this is apparently the will of Allah.

Your comparison holds true only if we accept that these “rogues” acted on their own initiative and without the knowledge of even a single superior officer. Every person who was aware of the torture but chose not to act to stop it is equally culpable.

   Certainly you must know that I’m no more upset by Muslims screaming ‘Allah is the Greatest’ than I am about the US President declaring that God is on Our Side or Generals declaring that our god is better than their god.

An offensive comparison. At least compare apples to apples. The equivalent would be our general slicing off the head of a prisoner on camera and declaring that “our God is better their God”. Of course that would never happen. The worst part of the Berg execution was the chanting, IMO. Pure savagery and inhumanity.

Why must it be a General? Are you buying the Dubya line that the beheader was Zarqawi? The only “evidence” that we have is the assertion by the Dubya Administration that it is so. Since Dubya et al have lied to us for years, then I flatly reject their assertion without additional corroborating evidence.

A General who publicly claims divine mandate and who commands US military forces is far more terrifying than a few anonymous thugs in a room.

Even if we accept that these four or five men are inhuman savages, then how does that justify the murder of innocent Iraqi civilians? If the four or five are guilty, then let’s get them. But no other retaliatory US action can be justified by their actions.

   Why do you advocate murderous Christian fundamentalism while decrying murderous Islamic fundamentalism?

Are you suggesting that the US policy is guided by Christian fundamentalism? Please.

Well, since you asked.

   How many Iraqi civilians have died because of US action?

How many were spared torture and execution at the hands of SH’s regime?

If you ask that question, then you tacitly forfeit any claim of US moral authority. You’re saying, in essence, that we’re entitled to free rein because we’re not quite as bad as the man we’ve described as a brutal, sadistic madman.

   And how many American civilians have died because of Iraqi action?

   How many were spared because we took the fight TO al-Qaeda?

I’ll answer that question once you demonstrate to me the clear ties between Iraq and al Qaeda that Dubya used as justification for his choice to go to war.

   Is it because they kill innocent civilians in the name of a greater cause?

Let’s be clear here. The deaths of innocents is never our intention. That makes a big difference. All the difference.

Not so fast. If you’re going to dismiss the actions of a few bad American apples, then you have to dismiss the actions of a few bad Iraqi apples, too.

Besides which, you can’t just pretend that we’re guiltless in the slaughter of innocent civilians simply by claiming that it wasn’t our “intent” to kill them.

   1. How do you determine that they are insane or inhuman?

Because human, civil, sane people do not slice the heads off of innocent people while chanting to their God.

Okay. So those four men are subhuman. How do you determine that the other Iraqis we have slain were inhuman or insane?

   2. How do you determine that you are fit to judge their relative insanity or inhumanity?

My fitness is irrelevant to their immoral behavior.

You’re kidding, obviously. Your perception of your own morality is the yardstick by which you judge their behavior. If you can not demonstrate your morality to be fit, then there is no basis for accepting your morality in preference to theirs. Far from being moral relativism, this is a call for you to demonstrate that your morality is correct and absolute. But it is insufficient to judge your own morality by the values contained within it; you must assert a higher, verifiable standard (meaning that “revealed morality,” for instance, won’t cut it).

   3. On what basis do you determine that the United States is fit to judge their relative insanity or inhumanity?

Same as above. Their immorality is unrelated to ours.

So you accept our immorality? Now we’re getting somewhere.

   4. On what basis do you determine that the United States has the moral authority to act against them?

They acted against us. We have the right to defend ourselves.

Innocent Iraqi citizens DID NOT act against us, yet we continue to kill them and subject them to oppressive military occupation. Do you have convincing evidence to the contrary?

   5. On what basis do you determine the appropriate response to the enemy?

Now you are talking specifics and military strategy. I would say we generally try to neutralize any given threat as quickly, safely, and cheaply as we can.

Does “any way we can” include a house-to-house extermination mission to kill every last Iraqi? What if that’s the safest and cheapest method available to us? Are we therefore justified, based on this simple economic assessment?

   6. On what basis do you determine that the United States is not equally guilty of the crimes it accuses the so called “insane” of committing?

Because we have codes of conduct to which we try to adhere. They have none.

I am certain that they adhere to a code of conduct, but because it does not coincide with yours, you declare it non-existent. Elsewhere, you have declared that Islamic fanatics wish to impose Shariah, which I believe is a code of conduct, is it not?

If you assert that our code is better than theirs, then you must present your objective evidence in support of your claim. If we have a code of conduct but fail to live up to it, how are we better than another group that fails to live up to its own code of conduct?

   Every objection you have raised thus far applies equally (or more so) to the actions and policies of the Bush Administration. Do you condemn the Adminstration equally, or do you apply your criticism only to those who do not profess to worship at the Americhristian altar?

Please let’s dispense with the anti-Christian rhetoric.

Be careful--you’re approaching the dreaded straw man. I’m not claiming that all Christians are bad or worthy of contempt. I’m asserting that claims of divine mandate, or claims that we are somehow uniquely blessed, are hardcore zealotry and should be treated as the mental illness that they are.

   Your attempts at equivocation are at best specious and at worst offensive to Christians who don’t appreciate being unjustly compared to the dirtbags who perpetrated the Nick Berg slaughter.

If we apply this to the specific Christians to whom I refer (namely Boykin and Bush, in this discussion) then I am happy to identify them to dirtbags. I am not discussing mainstream Christians, but rather those elements of the fanatical Right who claim either to speak to God or to act on his behalf.

   Yeah, Bush is a Christian. So what? It’s where he gets his values.

It’s also where he gets his policy, and it’s how he panders to his electorate. If he got his values from Christianity without using Christianity as a bludgeon against his ideological enemies, then I’d have no problem with it.

   No worse than from where ever you get yours or Kerry gets his.

That’s an endorsement of moral relativism, of course. Care to rephrase?

   Kerry’s a Christian-- why do you support him?

In the most basic sense, I support him because he isn’t Bush. More specifically, I support him because I believe that his goals for America are superior to those of Bush, and that those policies will do better to provide security and economic strength for the country.

   By what authority do you assert that the United States has no moral authority to condemn any nation or entity? You are hoisted by your own moral relativism.

Because the United States sees fit to endorse policies for itself that it condemns in others, the United States is by definition hypocritical. Dubya justified the invasion of Iraq on the claim that Saddam tortured, raped, and murdered Iraqis; the US military has tortured, raped, and murdered Iraqis, so we cannot presume to judge Saddam.

I haven’t even gotten to my moral relativism yet--I’m merely holding the United States to the same standard to which it holds other nations. Do you propose that the United States should be judged by a different standard? Why?

   So we’re justified in killing as many innocent civilians as we wish?

No, merely pointing out that a numbers-game argument is meaningless.

Then I challenge you to write a letter to President Bush every time he invokes the memory of the ~3000 who dies on 9/11. Dubya is more than happy to argue the numbers game, even if he doesn’t like “fuzzy math.”

   Yet again, this is argument by assertion. Why do you assert that we have the right to judge but Muslim extremists (presumably) do not?

I base it on how we treat our fellow human beings and how they treat their fellow human beings. Our system is morally and ethically superior.

If you are judging your morality and their morality in terms of your own morality, then it’s no surprise that you judge your morality to be superior. I may be a moral relativist, but you are a solipsist!

   Dubya, whose handlers confine protesters in “free speech” zones to prevent them from being heard?

Protesters? Or hate-spewing partisans who just want the president to look bad on the evening news?

Protesters, such as those who were confined to caged-in “free speech zones” during Dubya’s visit to Pittsburgh (though it has happened elsewhere, too).

Of course, the hate-spewing partisans (whoever they be) are entitled to a voice, as well. That’s why I’ve never called for Limbaugh or the rest to be censored. Dubya (and his administration) are not as tolerant of dissenting views.

   Bush has no interest in preserving freedom or liberty in the United States or elsewhere.

You know, it’s comments like that wot cause unrest.

That’s my Rabid Disturbance™ in action!

   Conservaties want to restrict the right to marry by altering the US Constitution,

That is only proposed to protect the institution of marriage from being REDEFINED by activists with their social agendas.

I’d like to withdraw this point from the current debate. You know my views, and I’m happy to go over them again in another thread, but there’s no need to enlarge the debate already in progress.

   Okay, I was off the mark in the “Arabs because they’re Arabs” phrasing, so I retract that. Nevertheless, these Right Wing zealots call for the overwhelming use of unjust force against the very people they presume to decry as extremist. How are their calls for torture and murder less dangerous than those of Islamist extremists?

Theirs is at best rhetoric; the Islamists’ are well-worn policy.

   Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then

It’s not hard to find a nut when discussing Right Wing zealotry.

I’m just curious. Whom would you describe as a “Left Wing” zealot?

You mean aside from myself? 8^)

I don’t know, really. If we define a left- or right-wing zealot as someone who clings to extremist policies regardless of their applicability to or repercussions upon the real world, then Nader and Kucinich probably qualify for the left. Michael Moore probably qualifies, too, though he finds the nut as often as not. Barney Frank is a left-wing jerk, but I don’t know if he’s a zealot.

   (1) Ha, a shot at my beloved president:-)

I think I snipped the antecedant from my reply, but your footnote is pretty amusing. 8^)

Dave!