 Off-Topic / Debate / 24043
Re: From Reason: "It's all bad news - Chaos in occupied Iraq"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 18:13:44 GMT

Aren’t you using Berg as a number? “Lookit what they did to him! We are dealing with animals here!!”

A number? No. An example of their cruel, savage barbarism? Yes. War is different. Basically in war, you are saying to your enemy, “Surrender to us, or we probably will kill you.” Even at any time in war, surrender is an option and the killing ends. There are rules, however strange that may sound. Then there is the sadistic, ritualistic butchering of innocent people. It is inhuman, uncivil, and primitive. It is morally wrong.

   their fellow human beings. Our system is morally and ethically superior.

Compared with Iraq? Compared with Switzerland? Denmark? Morally and ethically compared to whom?

Compared to the vision of Wahabi Muslim extremists.

   Your ‘morally superior’ country started a war of aggression on a country that couldn’t even get a plane off the ground to defend itself, could barely launch a missle outside its borders. The invasion, under the guise of ‘get them before they get us’. How, exactly, could Iraq have gotten you? Show me where you have the moral high ground on that one. Show me where this war is justified. Moral? Not this time.

You are very confused about this conflict. We called for the self-deposition of SH. He refused and we invaded to force him to leave power. That is all. We deposed him, liberating the Iraqi people from his oppression, and are assisting the Iraqi people to form their own free and democratic country. How much higher ground is there morally? Well yeah, there have been some mistakes, but we are not perfect and our intentions were always good. You are so partisan and blinkered that you can’t even admit the enormous good that will come as a result of this liberation. You better look at yourself.

(snip)

The debate on the war was based on the flawed evidence that the US administration brought forth. If individuals were convinced to vote for this war, it was due to the misinformation eminating from the administration.

What about the British? What about the whole world? Playing the “hindsight is 20/20” is either ignorant or disengenuous.

   Of course, ‘who’s more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?’ ANd yet the whining over other countries abstaining from following the fool. That’s the really good bit. Countries abstain from this fiasco and are deemed ‘aiding the terroists’.

No, they are deemed as ostriches with their heads in the sand.

   Dubya, whose handlers confine protesters in “free speech” zones to prevent them from being heard?

Protesters? Or hate-spewing partisans who just want the president to look bad on the evening news?

“Hey Lewinski!” How much did the conservative party convince the people of the US to spend on ‘Oralgate’ and ‘whitewatergate’, and how much was spent on the investigation on 9/11? Yeah, your indignation would probably have a little more value if it wasn’t based on ‘party lines’.

Clinton was a coward. He should have stood up and said, “yeah, well, so what, it’s my private life and none of your business. Instead he tried to cover it up and obfuscate. Take responsibility. At least I would have respected him for that.

   Bush has no interest in preserving freedom or liberty in the United States or elsewhere.

You know, it’s comments like that wot cause unrest.

Yet I’ll say it as well--as shown thus far in 4ish terms as president, Dubya (and the rest of his administration) has no interest in preserving freedom or liberty in the US of A, or anywhere else.

Believe what you will, but realize your bigotry has rendered your perception obtuse.

   snip

   they want to restrict the right to marry by altering the US Constitution,

That is only proposed to protect the institution of marriage from being REDEFINED by activists with their social agendas.

Damn those black people for wanting equal rights! Damn their social agendas!! Redefining things!!!

Careful. Many blacks are deeply offended at the equivocation of gay rights and civil rights. I frankly agree with them.

   20 years from now people are going to wonder why this was such an issue. Gays married? What does it matter?

Wanna bet? Perhaps I will have to time debate this issue further at a later time, but I will just say that you are not thinking through the deep social ramifications of equating same sex unions with opposite ones. Short answer: men and women are not equal. That’s not to say that they don’t have equal rights, it’s to say that they aren’t equal. It’s so painfully obvious and yet so vehemently denied by the Left, because it doesn’t fit into their agenda.

JOHN