 Off-Topic / Debate / 24040
Re: What's a freedom fighter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:50:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
It's actually your rabid anti-American
sentiments that I find disturbing.

Would you say that quite so readily if I were an American?

Sure, why not.  Hateful sentiments are disturbing regardless of
the source.  For instance, I find Dave Schuler's rabidness disturbing
as well,

I've always associated "disturbed" with Dave!

But not in a serious, bad way. More of a good way.

I don't see him as rabid, I see him more as "consistent". Some of his premises
are fallacious, but he's mostly on the side of the angels, as they say. More or
less.

but I take comfort in the fact that he's still somehow able
to find time for the megablocks.  You are worrysome because of your
one track mind, narrowly focused on any and all pain and suffering
that may have been caused by me.  Snap out of it.  This is a toy
forum.  Share some toys.  If you want to share your daily pain and
suffering go start a blog.

Not a bad idea for anyone that thinks that they have a readership for that sort
of thing. But the blogs I enjoy are the ones that surface different points of
view, presented rationally and with clear writing, clear ideas, and clear
conclusions, not ones that are a stream of complaints about the world.

If I want to get a constant stream of "why?" and tangential insults, I'll go
talk to my teenager, I can get that for free. So I tend to filter Scott's
writings here out, for the most part, and you should too. (he used to do more
with the hobby, it is true, than he seems to now)

Don, (tangentially! :-) )I don't think you should sell yourself short with these
self disparaging remarks. You're more than holding your own here and you're a
breath of fresh air, to boot.

If you flub, admit it and move on, but don't say "well, I'm not a good writer"
all the time.  It gets tiresome. You're better than most US high school grads
these days, I think. Better than Scott (measured by what he posts here) too.
IMHO anyway.