 Off-Topic / Debate / 2395
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:20:32 GMT

Simon Robinson wrote:

Oddly, the service you'd claim to be providing here is
as much as anything a redistribution service - from
people who want sets now to people who may want
the sets next year (ironically
since redistribution in a different context is something
I normally favour a lot more than you or Larry do :) )

Cute.  I think the difference is that one is voluntary.

Whether you're benefitting people I guess depends on
factors like whether people who had the sets now would have
got bored with them after a year and sold them anyway. You'd
certainly be denying people the chance to play with the sets now.

I guess what you're talking about is whether there is a net benefit.
Clearly I'd be benifitting some people - the ones who buy them from me.

I'm not certain either way on that one. I think my view of
whether what you were doing was morally right might depend
on your motives

This must be why I prefer the market to work things out.  I don't think
motives matter at all.  It is demonstrated to be 'good' because the
market rewards that behavior.

- if you were mostly thinking 'yeah - get the sets now
when they're cheap and reflog them once prices have risen a bit'
then that would sound dubious.

I find it interesting that the motive matters in that way.  Action a is
good if done by a good person, but bad if done by a bad person?

If you were genuinely thinking
'some people in a years time will want the sets and I'm
making some money by giving them
a chance to buy them' then that would sound more reasonable.

What's the difference?  If I'm buying low and selling high then
obviously the buyers are getting an opportunity.

I do think it's very important when trading to think about your
customers (and to some extent the wider community) as
well as of your own profits.

I agree in as much as treating your customers well will keep them happy.
I part out sets and sell the pieces I don't want.  I make money on it
that allows me to buy frivolous stuff like more LEGO.  In addition to
making money, I am providing a service.  How does it matter what my
emphasis is?  If I don't think about my customers they'll stop buying,
so I continually try to increase the quality of my auctions to keep them happy.

(After all, if your moral standards say
that it's OK to engage in any transaction if your client agrees to it
and you  make a profit

My making a profit isn't part of it being right...just as long as we
both/all agree to it it's right.

- no
matter what the wider consequences of that transaction are, then
you'd end up having to conclude that the people who push hard drugs
(often by getting their customers addicted to the drugs) are
doing nothing wrong,

Wrong?  I'd call it unsavory, but I wouldn't legislate against it.
Unless you mean they're addicting their customers by force.  Then I'd
advocate extreme prejudice.

or people who sell criminals weapons, knowing
what the criminals are going to do with them, are also doing nothing
wrong[1])

Right you are.  In both cases, I feel that the activities are OK.  And
how can you KNOW what some 'criminal' is going to do with any given tool
that you might sell him?

[1] perhaps an example that's more relevant to countries in Europe where
it's very hard to get guns legally.

I don't want to tell Europeans how to operate their lives, so I'm not
sure how to approach this.

Chris