 Off-Topic / Debate / 23790
23789  |  23791
Subject:
18 children among dozens dead in Iraq car bombings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:14:12 GMT

I'm not convinced that we should have invaded Iraq in the first place, and
I'm not sure what to think now:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/04/21/iraq.main/index.html

Part of me is starting to feel like we should just quarantine these states.
I don't know how you fight people who are so caught up in their cause that
they indiscriminately blow up their own people.

I'm just not sure how we can expect to see democracy in a country like Iraq.
Who do we rely on the clean these fanatics out? Is it our responsibility? Is
it the Iraqi's?

For what it's worth, while our invasion certainly precipitated this
violence, I think it would have occurred had Sadam Hussein's government fell
for some other reason. There is a lot of hatred between different groups of
Iraqi's that has nothing to do with the US. Actually, I think that's part of
the problem with these trouble spots, the average person on the street cares
far more about his neighbor than the US. They then just respond to whoever
their leader is. If he tries to shift blame to the US ("The US is supporting
these infidels, down with the US!") they just follow along.

Frank