 Off-Topic / Debate / 23712
Re: From Reason: "It's all bad news - Chaos in occupied Iraq"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:54:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:

   Is Bush afraid to use “lethal violence”? Over 10,000 civilians have now been killed; the deatils of around 700 may be found here. At the start of the week he deployed helicopter gunships in an urban area!

I heard a radio interview with the creators of Iraqbodycount.net, they are a clearly partisan group, whose research methods are suspect at best. Basically they look at all news sources for any mention of civilian casualties. They make no attempt to verify the numbers, nor to ensure that they are not double or triple counting the same casualties. They are simply morbid hearse chasers, using the event of accidental collateral damage to further their cause, truly despicable.

If I could stop the murder of Iraqi civilians simply by over-estimating the number of deaths, I would certainly do so. Wouldn’t you?

Anyway, do you have documentation for your rebuttal of Iraqbodycount’s methodology? If you’re correct, then their methods could certainly be improved, but you seem to suggest that the goal is inherently foolish.

Here’s something worth reading. It discusses the ways in which the US military actually does keep track of Iraqi civilian deaths.

Dave!