 Off-Topic / Debate / 23530
Re: The absurdity of American pop culture
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:45:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/16/georgecarlin.indecency.ap/index.html

Count on George Carlin to point out the hipocracy of American society.  Maybe if
the US government stopped perpetuating the cycle of fear we all be better off.

-Orion

I'm not sure how to resolve the conflicts in the subject header, the actual
article, the inferences you draw from it, and Carlin's conclusion, "Society can
be counted on to let this fade."  :-)

Actually I'm keying in on these statesment in particuler:

"The whole problem with this idea of obscenity and indecency, and all of these
things -- bad language and whatever -- it's all caused by one basic thing, and
that is: religious superstition. ... There's an idea that the human body is
somehow evil and bad and there are parts of it that are especially evil and bad,
and we should be ashamed. Fear, guilt and shame are built into the attitude
toward sex and the body. ... It's reflected in these prohibitions and these
taboos that we have."

"And yet, they're very inconsistent -- on that Super Bowl broadcast of Janet
Jackson's there was also a commercial about a 4-hour erection. A lot of people
were saying about Janet Jackson, 'How do I explain to my kids? We're a little
family, we watched it together ...' And, well, what did you say about the other
thing? These are convenient targets."

The fact of the matter is why was this "indecency" even an issue when the
American concept of indecency itself is very inconsisant?  What is "indecent"
today may not be tomorrow (and vice versa) depending on the political climate
and who is involved in the supposed "indecent" act.

-Orion