 Off-Topic / Debate / 23399
Re: Commanche helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:38:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote: -snip-

Good stuff. Hopefully Rumsfeld will cancel the F-22 as well. And why exactly do we need thirty new attack subs?

Thanks for the links about the XM-8.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Thanks for the link, I don’t follow navy news as much as I should.

I have a soft spot for submarines, mainly because I believe they are the “true” (nuclear) deterrent.

However, with the US deficit spiralling out of control, I would understand if even they were cut back. I mean, the Navy could always upgrade existing vessels, couldn’t they?

Anyways, I completely agree with on the F-22. Just today I was reading this article on my fav. defence site, StrategyPage. Basically, analysts are saying that UCAVs (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles) being developed by foreign nations will be cheaper, more agile, and inherently stealthier than the F-22. Now the Airforce has to really make a decision whether to further develop something they pioneered, the UAV, or stick with the F-22.

Either way, the F-35 will be produced, and that’s a darn good solution to future needs; it shares much of the F-22s design, but is cheaper, has VTOL capability, and can serve a variety of roles.

BTW, did you hear about Russia’s embarrassing missile test failures that Putin personally oversaw. If anything, that just shows how far back the Russians are militarily. Why people still have a Cold War mentality is beyond me. As if by some miracle the Russians could even catch up to such technology as the B2 or the satellite-driven warfare of the Americans. :-(

Mladen Pejic