 Off-Topic / Debate / 23398
Re: Commanche helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:11:22 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mladen Pejic wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
   The U.S army has cancelled the Commanche helicopter program.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aTaDFSD81RLI&refer=us

Which is a shame as I only saw one on the TV the other day.

They’ve also cancelled the rather cool crusader self-propelled artillery.

Steve

Correction: it’s the actual codename for this project is RAH-66 “Comanche”.

Also check out this great BBC article. And yes, I know the BBC is biased, but I think this article is worth a read.

snip

So do you see just how skewed the priorities of the US military have been? While the American soldier is one of the best in the world, why does the Army’s and Marine’s infantry get such outdated weapons? Why is money wasted on holdovers from the Cold War? What nation will even attempt to attack the US with its military?

Sorry for the rant, but maybe you’ll come away from this post a little wiser. I say that as the world’s greatest and only superpower, America should still be advancing itself, not just in high-tech weaponry, but the low-tech ones as well. Assymmetric warfare, much like other tactics in history, has changed everything.

Mladen Pejic

Good stuff. Hopefully Rumsfeld will cancel the F-22 as well. And why exactly do we need thirty new attack subs?

Thanks for the links about the XM-8.

Marc Nelson Jr.