 Off-Topic / Debate / 23395
Re: Commanche Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:29:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steven Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Mladen Pejic wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
   The U.S army has cancelled the Commanche helicopter program.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aTaDFSD81RLI&refer=us

Which is a shame as I only saw one on the TV the other day.

They’ve also cancelled the rather cool crusader self-propelled artillery.

Steve

Correction: it’s the actual codename for this project is RAH-66 “Comanche”.

   Also check out this great BBC article. And yes, I know the BBC is biased, but I think this article is worth a read.

While I have to agree with you (and my brother), that the Comanche was darn cool, this is not such a surprise for the defence industry.

Look at all the Blackhawks and Apaches that have been lost in Afghanistan and Iraq. A lot have been damaged by the simplest of weapons, namely the RPG-7 and assorted Kalashnikov rifles/machineguns.

Now, if the “armoured” Blackhawks and Apaches can be hurt by shaped-charge warheads, and 7.62mm+ calibre rounds, think what would happen if the thin skinned Commanche was struck by them?

So isn’t now the perfect time for a more stealthy chopper? I think the misson requirements could be re-orientated toward todays needs but I don’t think the whole program needs to be scrapped.

Dude, do you even know anything about the “Comanche”? It is a scout/attack helicopter. The “Apache” and “Cobra” can both carry more weapons than it, and the “Kiowa” is still capable as a scout platform.

Why waste more money on this clearly weak helicopter who’s only advantage is its lower radar and IR signature?

I mean seriously... Do you honestly think Osama bin Laden, and his terrorist followers use radar to detect US vehicles?

Please rethink your logic.

I read here that there is high probability that the Hellfire missiles, even when stowed inside the helicopter can be hit by rounds and ignited. Imagine that! An anti-tank missile exploding inside an already frail helicopter!

Let’s face it, the “Comanche” and the “Crusader” are clearly project holdovers from the Cold War era. I mean seriously, how can an “Advanced Field Artillery System” (Crusader), that weighs tens of tons, and takes perhaps days to transport to a battlefield, be justified as a weapon to combat terrorism?

Were’nt large parts of both gulf wars conventional?

Ummm... Last I checked, the Iraqi army folded in Gulf War II. Last I checked, Gulf War I many of them did the same in Gulf War I. Remember the “high-way of death” in which all of the remaining Iraqi forces tried to flee back to Iraq and got slaughtered by American helicopters and aircraft?

TRAINING won Gulf War I & II. The Iraqis had decent weaponry, they just didn’t know how to use it, and furthermore, didn’t have the discipline to stand and fight.

   It is ironic actually. The American military says they need 7000 armoured HUMVEEs and more M4 carbines! Can you believe that while the Pentagon is wasting money on the “Comanche” and “Crusader” the US army and marines still have small-arms inferior to what the Germans, Russians, not to mention the terrorists are using? The M60 and M16 are fine weapons... But so much has advanced since their conceptions.

The results: The M60 (and M60E3) are both replaced by temporary foreign machineguns, the Belgium M240 and M249. Both are considered temporary. The M16A2 will be scrapped, and the German G36 inspired M8 (XM8) assualt rifles. And guess what? They’re using a brand new calibre: 6.8mm Remington. And they’re also developing a 25mm grenade launcher.

So do you see just how skewed the priorities of the US military have been? While the American soldier is one of the best in the world, why does the Army’s and Marine’s infantry get such outdated weapons? Why is money wasted on holdovers from the Cold War? What nation will even attempt to attack the US with its military?

Sorry for the rant, but maybe you’ll come away from this post a little wiser.

You should be sorry. I find your tone very patronising, I said those two systems we’re cool, not 100% practical. You have made assumptions about my knowledge of weaponry or lack of it on a very short post.

Believe me, I was not trying to be patronising. I did not aim anything at you. I even agreed with you, they are “cool”. I just wanted to show you that such flash-in-the-pan technology should not undercut funding for more practical programs... Like say giving the hard-fighting American soldier a rifle he/she doesn’t constantly have to clean and that has more stopping power (M16). Or perhaps giving him a machinegun whose barrel can be replaced without gloves (M60).

   I say that as the world’s greatest and only superpower,

We (the UK) have got nukes as well, thank you very much! Remember the UK? Little old country, next to europe (yes ok, included in europe),seem to remember us taking the number two slot in the great coalition.

Israel has fine soldiers & nukes too. Germany has the finest tanks & nukes. France has great aircraft & nukes. Russia has robust small-arms & nukes. China has numbers & nukes. Shall I go on?

Let’s see, UK has...
  • Cut down its fleet, once the world’s greatest, not anymore
  • Produced an assault rifle that just doesn’t work (SA80)
  • Total armed forces equivalent to the US Marines
I’m not saying that UK isn’t a “power”. It certainly is, and has a powerful military, but please don’t try to say you have anything that even touches what America, Russian, and China have.

Europe has been at peace for quite some time, and that’s good. The British won in the Falklands, and performed admirably in Iraq. But on a global scale, I don’t think you can match what America has done, nor do I think you have the desire to.

Be happy that your country can live in peace, and can make reductions in its forces. I am from the Balkans, and my country had no such luxury.

Steve

Mladen Pejic