 Off-Topic / Debate / 23392
23391  |  23393
Subject:
Bush 'bending science to his political needs'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:09:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daron Williams wrote:
   Hey all, just thought I would post a link to two reports that I just found. Currious what kinda of debate could grow from them:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1540&e=1&u=/afp/britainusenvironment

http://www.iht.com/articles/130718.html

See also: Bush ‘bending science to his political needs’

==+==

The Bush administration is guilty of misrepresenting scientific knowledge and misleading the public, a group of America’s most senior scientists claimed yesterday.

They said the government had manipulated information to fit its policies on everything from climate change to whether Iraq had been trying to make nuclear weapons.

The Bush administration is guilty of misrepresenting scientific knowledge and misleading the public, a group of America’s most senior scientists claimed yesterday.

They said the government had manipulated information to fit its policies on everything from climate change to whether Iraq had been trying to make nuclear weapons.

The open letter from the independent Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) said: “When scientific knowledge has been found to be in conflict with its political goals, the administration has often manipulated the process through which science enters into its decisions.... This has been done by placing people who are professionally unqualified or who have clear conflicts of interest in official posts and on scientific advisory committees; by disbanding existing advisory committees; by censoring and suppressing reports by the government’s own scientists; and by simply not seeking independent scientific advice.”

==+==