 Off-Topic / Debate / 23379
Re: Bush on Nucular Non-proliferation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:13:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
It would be a lot easier to take him seriously if he could say the word
nuclear.
Why is it that he can't learn the word?

I've heard it said that his choppy speech actually makes him more popular.
Yeah, sure he gets teased mercilessly by people with a well-refined vocabulary,
but that's a relatively small portion of the US population.  The rest are in the
same boat that he is.  Or, more appropriately, he's in the same boat that they
are, and knowing that makes him seem more approachable than someone who
graduated magna cum laude from an ivy league university.  And attacking him on
his pronunciation can seem like an attack on them as well, so rather than
reducing his support, it can actually increase it.  Weird, huh?