 Off-Topic / Debate / 23164
Re: A lttile tiny cheer...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:29:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
for a little tiny victory.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=2&u=/ap/20040127/ap_on_re_us/patriot_act

Eek.  It's a disturbing thought that you could be arrested, tried, and convicted
for expertly advising a terrorist organization to surrender, negotiate, or
disband.  I would _hope_ that wasn't the intent of the loose wording, but given
the level of negative sentiment towards terrorism when the Patriot Act was
passed, I fully expect that it was intended to prevent any sort of humanitarian
aid from being given to injured people who were deemed terrorists.  One question
I have on this is who decides which groups are terrorist organizations?  Could
someone like Gandhi have been banned from receiving expert advice if his local
government branded him a terrorist?

Here's something,

I've noticed that on this NG that most 'intellectual debaters' are not for the
Patriot Act due to the limits on freedom and stomping on the Bill o' Rights...

Yet another NG (remain nameless), the Patriot Act is seen as some sort of newly
found 'Constitution', as in it's the best thing to happen to 'Merica!--"We're
better off with it!"  And these sentiments are posted by supposedly rational
Americans as well.  GWB as almost the 2nd coming, so it seems, to these people,
so their credibility with me is somewhat less than the folks in this NG.

So what gives?  Is the US becoming 'uber'-polarized?  Are these camps ever going
to find common ground?

Anyway, just something I've noticed.

Dave K