 Off-Topic / Debate / 23093
23092  |  23094
Subject:
Missing the point about labor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:01:05 GMT

NR showing protectionist stripes?

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/krikorian200401070923.asp

Mr. Krikorian may be right that access to cheap labor means less labor saving
innovation, but (apparently not being a free trader) he misses the point.
Employers should have the choice of whether to use cheap labor or labor saving
devices in their drive to improve efficiency.

Restricting access to labor, as Krikorian advocates (indirectly) is just as much
a restraint of trade as laws prohibiting introduction of labor saving devices
are. It's just a different kind of restraint.

I won't go so far as to say I unreservedly favor Bush II's program regarding
immigrant workers, because I favor no restrictions on immigration whatever,
subject only to the proviso that it is on a "make your own way or starve" basis.
The Bush program seems to add another layer of regulation and red tape to an
already overregulated system.

Why is it that new programs almost always seem to do this? They never replace
regulations, only add special cases and exemptions to them.