 Off-Topic / Debate / 23064
23063  |  23065
Subject:
Somethings been bothering me...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:45:32 GMT

(moreso than usual...)

From

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/22/security.padilla.backlash.reut/index.html

"
Two court rulings last week about the rights of prisoners held in the U.S. "war
on terrorism" represent a rebuke to the Bush administration's legal tactics
following the September 11 attacks, analysts and human rights organizations
said.
"

Down the page this gets mentioned--

"
"The two cases are different. It's questionable whether people captured during a
war in Afghanistan are entitled to any of the protections of the U.S.
Constitution," said Robert Levy,
"

Here's the thing--these people are being detained by US forces.  They are being
detained under some US ruling.  Whether they are US citizens or not is
immaterial--they are 'in jail' due to violation of some US law or policy.

And isn't the Constitution the 'gandpappy' of US law--aren't *all* US laws
beholden to the Constitution?  In other words, if anyone is being detained by a
US ruling, doesn't that person have the right to appeal to the Constitution,
even if they are not American?

Hey Dubya--you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

"
The White House speedily announced it would seek a stay, calling the decision
"troubling and flawed."
"

No, the white house is 'troubling and flawed' if they think this double standard
is Just and right.

Dave K