 Off-Topic / Debate / 22951
  Right on the money

Some will be too quick to dismiss (URL) this article> as farce, but the underlying story is worth reflection. Dave! (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Right on the money

(...) My favorite part: Saddam was also heartened by Mr. Bush's promise that, "The capture of Saddam Hussein does not mean the end of violence in Iraq." With new attacks by and on US and other foreign occupation forces, the former strongman stated, (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Right on the money

(...) You say "farce" like it's a bad thing... It's farce all right, but farce based on the truth, and that's the best (or worst, depending on whose ox is being gored) kind. Realpolitik is just a bad idea. Always was. Better to be principled even if (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Right on the money

Oh, and another thing, only marginally related, I deplore the ambiguity about Taiwan that seems so favored in Foggy Bottom. If I was driving I'd come out and say "Taiwan is free, you're not. They want to be independent, that's fine with us, and you (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Right on the money

(...) I was trying to preempt objections along the lines of "that's ridiculous, Hussein didn't really say that." But you're right--my phrasing was a little unclear, and I am in fact I'm all for farce. So farce so good, I say. Dave! (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Right on the money

(...) May the farce be with you, Dave! JOHN (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)