 Off-Topic / Debate / 22943
Re: Bush defends exclusion order on contracts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:59:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13332930

“It is very simple. Our people risk their lives. Friendly coalition folks risk their lives. And, therefore, the contracting is going to reflect that. And that is what the US taxpayers expect,”

Surprise, surprise, the invasion was more about control than terrorism.

I’m not really surprised are you.

And then:

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2003/s1008494.htm

“...after barring major European countries from bidding for the most lucrative reconstruction contracts in Iraq, President Bush is now asking those same countries for help in forgiving Iraq’s debt.”

Wait why would Iraq have a debt? Saddam’s regime had a debt but what does that have to do with Iraq?

Who else should pay it. When a company gets a new CEO, does its debt usually get wiped?

   Of course that is the only reason certain countries opposed military action in the first place.

That may be a reason for some *individuals* to appose the invasion. However, it does not explain the millions across the world who opposed the war; many of whom also opposed the support given to SH back in the 80s by the west! (I wonder if SH will get the opportunity to tell us about that support at his trial?)

Is that incredible optimism, incredibly bad timing, incredible arrogance, or incredible stupidity?

I would have to say incredible stupidity. The Iraqi people owe nothing to those who lent money to Saddam anyway. Just as the US taxpayers should expect no return on helping the Iraqi people get rid of his rule.

I thought “US taxpayers” may be interested in this titbit:

The same old racket in Iraq

“The state facilities that were so carefully targeted with bombs and shells have now to be reconstructed, but this time under the aegis of private firms, preferably American, though Blair and Berlusconi, and perhaps plucky Poland too, will not be forgotten at handouts time. Meanwhile, Dick Cheney’s old firm, Halliburton, awarded a contract (without any competition) to rebuild Iraq’s oil industry, is happily boosting profits by charging the US government $2.64 a gallon for the fuel it trucks into Iraq from Kuwait. The normal price per gallon in the region is 71 cents, but since the US taxpayer is footing the bill, nobody cares.

Scott A

-Mike Petrucelli