 Off-Topic / Debate / 2272
    Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance (was Re: McDonalds set —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I think the issue Libertarians have with government regulation about standards, quality, and labels is not with intent. We're willing to grant, for the sake of argument, good intent(1). Our issue is just that they don't, by and large, actually (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance —Josh Spaulding
   (...) I think competitive improvement requires the postulate of an informed, active consumer base, which does not seem descriptive of America today. Frankly, when I see ads for "Pumpernickel limestone shampoo - the tingle tells you it's better than (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Granted. No one said it would be easy to move in the direction I'd like to see us move in. But in turn I'm sure you'd admit that the potential is there for the regeneration of such a base. (...) I'll claim that there are some examples but not (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance —Josh Spaulding
   (...) Of course there's a potential, but such a regeneration would not be in the interest of manufacturers, so I wouldn't count on them to foster it by providing the public with balanced information unless required by law. This is part of my problem (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance —Frank Filz
   (...) I heard a good one a few weeks ago... Three engineers, a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a Microsoft engineer, are riding in a car when the engine quits. The mechanical engineer suggests a rebuild of the engine. The chemical (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)