 Off-Topic / Debate / 22701
Re: Uh-oh, Bad News for Bald One
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:06:14 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   ...following his own moral compass... • http://thebricktestament.com/the_law/following_your_own_moral_compass/dt29_19.html
If, as the Good Book says, the laws are written on the hearts of man, I’ll take my chances following my heart rather than some clergyman’s ideas.

If the church’s number one priority at this time is debating ‘women in office’ (CRC), debating ordaining homosexuals (United) or fixing priestly indiscretions (Catholocism), I’ll “march to my own drummer”, thank you.

I do like this particular story. I’m content with the probability that there are supreme beings who are to us as we are to ants. But I have a problem accepting a being as worthy of worship who destroys those whose capacity is so much less and who do not agree. It would be like me stepping on an ant that disagreed with me. Amusing perhaps, but hardly worthy of worship.

I am a big fan of the personal moral compass. For some, that might coincide with some old book, and that’s cool. If it doesn’t coincide with some old book, or with my personal moral compass, that’s entirely cool too.

But regardless of one’s compass, one acts, and there are always consequences. A deep understanding of consequences is a good way to calibrate one’s moral compass, no?

(And surely only the media truly believes that the various churches are primarily focussed on the three issues noted. As I understand it, like most organisations, the churches are primarily focussed on self preservation. Alright, so that last comment was facetious. Probably :-)