 Off-Topic / Debate / 22622
22621  |  22623
Subject:
"By Their Fruits You Will Know Them"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:08:57 GMT

Transcript: Bill Moyers interviews Joe Hough

http://www.pbs.org/now/printable/transcript_hough_print.html

MOYERS: You recently did a very radical thing. You called on the children of Abraham ? Muslims, Christians and Jews ? to engage in an act of refusal.

HOUGH: Well, my perception, Bill, is that there is a definite intentional move on the part of political leadership in this country. In the direction that I think is not at all compatible with the prophetic tradition in Islam, Christianity, or Judaism. And that is the obligation on the part of people who believe in God to care for the least and the poorest. That central teaching, that sacred code, I think, is very well summed up in Proverbs where the writer of Proverbs says, “Those who oppress the needy insult their maker.” “Those who oppress the needy insult their maker.”

And I think that it would be a wonderful thing if we could stand together, these three great Abrahamic traditions, and say, “Look, we do not countenance this sort of thing. It is not only unfair, it is immoral on the basis of our religious traditions, and we believe it’s an insult to God.”

MOYERS: And it is what?

HOUGH: The growing gap between the rich and the poor which has become almost obscene by anybody’s standards, and the stated intentional policy of bankrupting the government so that in the future there’ll be no money for anything the federal government would decide to do.

Edit: snip

MOYERS: A recent Nobel Laureate has said that he thinks the time is coming for civil disobedience again. What do you think about that?

HOUGH: I think it may come to that. I think it may come to that - I really do. I don’t know what form it’s to take. It’s got to be civil disobedience that is not destructive. One of the problems I have with some of the demonstrations against for example, the WTO and at Davos.

Edit: The most important thing you will read this year! Hough seemed to me to be almost near tears and trembling with a kind of indignant rage -- I am not trying to paint him as a nutcase; to the contrary, I am saying that he seemed more sincerely passionate about his statements than almost anyone I have ever seen! It was a marvel to behold. And while I am not a person that identifies as one of the “Children of Abraham” I was pleased by the way the use of the term pointed up similarity rather than difference. From a purely economic perspective, it was very hard to disagree with the simple correctness of Hough’s views on many issues. We are all of us paying a price for those that do without because of the likes of Wal-Mart, Tyson, etc. -- taxpayers are paying the gap between a poverty wage and a living wage. In Other words -- Wal-Mart is no bargain! You are simply paying for it another way and forcing hard working people into the circumstances of beggary.

Executive take home pay relative to factory floor workers pay worldwide

see: http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/politics_pop/index.html

may have to “view raw” to make it line up properly

Japan 11 times Germany 12 times France 15 times Italy 20 times Canada 20 times S. Africa 21 times Britian 22 times Hong Kong 41 times Mexico 47 times Venezuela 50 times U.S. 475 times

wed this to the ongoing corporate scandals that keep rocking the economy and you will begin to understand why The Economist thinks that investors should be able to find better investments outside the U.S. Maybe Britain is a good place for your money -- the CEO is not taking most of the profits and the corporate financials have a better chance of being far more accurate than is necessary here in the states. BTW, this is a repeat segment -- but I also wanted to point out the fact that “The Ecomomist” is not commonly perceived as a liberal rag “To Further Free Trade Principles”: Origins of The Economist -- that means the information is going to hit the bottom line sooner or later and WE WILL PAY THE PRICE OF THIS OUTRAGEOUS DISPARITY IN EARNINGS! The Economist is basically saying that the U.S. is an example of the betrayal of “free trade” principles that do more or less work when it comes to wages in the rest of the Western World -- there is something uniquely at work within the U.S. beyond “what the market will bear.”

Downward Mobility: Overview

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/wages.html

October 2003 figures from the U.S. Census Bureau make stark reading: **Median household incomes are falling
**The number of Americans without health insurance rose by 5.7 percent to 43.6 million individuals
**The number of people living below the poverty line ($18,392 for a family of four) climbed to 12.1 percent ? 34.6 million people.

Q and A with Beth Shulman

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/wagesqanda.html

What are common misconceptions about low-wage work and workers in America?

A common misconception is that low-wage jobs are only found in your neighborhood McDonalds. Yet, fast-food jobs constitute less than 5 percent of all low-wage jobs. Low-wage jobs are nurse’s aides and home health aides, security guards, child care workers and educational assistants maids and porters, 1-800 call-center workers, bank tellers, data-entry keyers, cooks, food-preparation workers, waiters and waitresses, cashiers and pharmacy assistants, poultry, fish and meat processors, laundry and dry cleaning operators and agricultural workers. They are jobs in the mainstream of our economy and our lives. Another misconception about low-wage jobs is that they are low-skilled. Most economists, politicians and the media marry the two terms as if they were inseparable. Yet, taking care of a sick parent or educating a child is anything but low-skilled. And there is a misconception about who the 30 million Americans are who work in low-wage jobs. Many presume they are teenagers, illegal immigrants, or high-school dropouts. Yet contrary to these stereotypes, America’s low-wage workers are mostly white, female, high school educated, and with family responsibilities.

Another misconception about low-wage work is that it is merely a stepping stone to a better job. Low-wage job mobility has decreased over the last decade. In a recent study following U.S. adults through their working careers, economics professors Peter Gottschalk of Boston College and Sheldon Danziger of the University of Michigan found that about half of those whose earnings ranked in the bottom 20 percent in 1968 were still in the same group in 1991. Of those who had moved up, nearly two-thirds remained below the median income. And finally there is the misconception that low-wage jobs are merely the result of an efficient market, that the economy is a force of nature, and we as a society have little control over whatever difficulties it creates. The reality is that our economic world is the result of our creation, not natural law and we have the ability to make choices that would improve low-wage jobs.

BTW, this post is a followup to this (kinda old though):
The U.S. Economy: The Thousand Yard Stare Through the Years

This is all fantastically well-researched stuff. The sources are basically in the way of conservative to moderate: The Economist, the World Bank, etc. The rest of the world simply does not tolerate this kind of nonsense. Americans need to take a long, hard, cold look at what is going on. We shall literally become a third world player very soon if we are not careful. It may already be too late.

A predictable few will try to interpret this information in terms of a narrow “free trade” perspective; or worse, through the blacked-out lenses of our woefully inadequate partisan political system. Forget it -- it won’t work this time. Try that and you are playing right into the game that keeps this madness afloat.

As Moyers’ guest points out -- some kind of “revolution” is probably in the offing. These are precisely the conditions that have led to economically seeded riots in the past. The violence and discontent so apparent at rallies against the WTO are clearly incipient versions of what is to come.

You are through the looking-glass, little Alice. Time to wake up to your new reality...adapt or die on the vine.

-- Hop-Frog