 Off-Topic / Debate / 22585
Re: Just 'cause...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:15:32 GMT

   I would consider the idea that if a gun manufacturer knowingly ships guns to a retailer known to be in violation of regulations, then the gun manufacturer may or should be equally culpable.

I’d say the ATF has to police this stuff and not that manufacturer, the reverse seems crazy backwards. If you are going to place the burden of regulation on the manufacturer, then what do we need the ATF for?

I would say that citing the gun shop is also not enough. They’re a business like any other and they can and should be regulated. Failure to comply with what are probably fairly reasonable regulations should trigger a shut down. Put them out of business.

   Another point is what about the legislation in the works granting ‘exemptions’ to a specific manufacturer that no other manufacturers have? I’m a very big proponent of eliminating frivilous lawsuits, but is this legislation going to void valid suits as well?

Yeah, after I posted I realized that I had skipped that part. I pretty much don’t believe in protecting anyone from a possible suit -- that’s nuts in my view. Sometimes the right to sue is all you have as a means of recovery. At the same time I think the gun industry is being called out continually in an obnoxious and harrassing way. Still, I think they should have to make their court appearances, but if the finding of a frivolous lawsuit is made the costs of the appearance (ALL related costs) should be charged back to the plaintiff. Hey, it’s not like the gun industry doesn’t have a raft of attys on it’s side anyway. These guys can make court appearances when necessary.

So “No” on the proposed legislation from me.

-- Hop-Frog