 Off-Topic / Debate / 22546
Re: Iraq (was Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:17:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Well, as Hop-Frog has pointed out numerous times, our founding fathers stated quite clearly when asked that a militia was anyone that is not a government offical.

That’s true, and more than once I went to great lengths to make the point crystal clear too, with lots of historical references:

2nd Amendment -- Bare Bones

And gee, that cite is not even that old...last year.

I find it annoying when a debate regular like Kooties wants to start into this area of debate at square one each and every time as if the matter had not been amply settled previously.

It hasn’t been amply settled. You are not a well regulated militia by any standard of those words. It’s a point you consitently avoid--you and others cut right to the “the rights of the people to own guns shall not be infringed”

Further, you also don’t deal with the point that the 2nd may, and probably should, be deemed as archaic. It’s an anachronism to the past when it was needed, and even then the people who owned guns were under the authority of military officials, which, again, you ignore.

And on top of all that, you do not have the right to do detrimental actions to society--this is where that fist you’re swinging back and forth comes in contact with someone elses nose, which should be the trump card, for that’s the very basis of democratic freedom. Well, you swinging your arm (owning your gun) is coming in contact in violent homicidal ways to thousands of your fellow citicens

snip

Again, don’t take the idea of a non-response to your points as being indicative of amply settling the debate. I, for myself, leave a topic due to a variety of different reasons--distraction, whether other debates or rl issues, the feeling of being down the road numerous times and jsut feel like stopping for a while to recharge batteries, or sometimes just letting that ol’ dog just lie there for a little while before the kicking begins again from both sides.

Poor ol’ dog :(

   perfectly happy to agree to disagree on the gun issue -- Kooties has every right to abhor gun ownership and argue for change in that area. I am less happy that he refuses to use legislative and historical intent to define the plain meanings of the 2nd and 9th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. If anything, I should think that more modern conceptions of rights should expand and not further limit our civil liberties.

Rights should expand. For example, in another thread recreational drugs were mentioned. The use of these drugs shouldn’t be against the law. Making these drugs legal would open up a whole other raft of issues--issues that we already face with alcohol and cigarettes, so we’re pretty much ready for them. I also believe it ouwld alleviate other issues such as reduce organized crime.

I can see that in the enforcing, and subsequent striking of, prohibition laws.

Sure we have to contend with disorderly drunks and drinking and driving, but, at the same time, we don’t have to deal with Capones and their ilk.

   What annoys is where Kooties wants to argue something like: “a tomato is not a fruit” when it plainly is a fruit. We get stuck circling around the definition of words as if that were the arument itself, but doing so brings nothing new into evidence -- Kooties rejects the plain meaning of Constitutional language, and we insist on it’s plain meaning. Big whoop!

I insist! I absolutely insist on the plain meaning of words! This high falutin’ lingo gives me a headache!

   This is asked and answered on both sides. I don’t want to spoil anyone’s fun, but is there anything new here to discuss?

-- Hop-Frog

Nyaah. Nothing to see here--move along.

Dave K