 Off-Topic / Debate / 22526
22525  |  22527
Subject:
The Ubiquitous Mr. Hop-Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:27:31 GMT

I am SO hogging the newsgroup, Babies!

Anyway, I thought these articles might interest y’all:

Bad grades for a voting-machine exam

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/10/15/riverside_voting_machines/

(if you arrive at a page that makes it look like you have to pay for the content, look for the links towards the bottom that reference a “day pass.” You can click through a few screen rather quickly and get to the article.)

Jeremiah Akin’s observations about Riverside County’s Logic & Accuracy testing

http://www.exit.com/RiversideVoteTest/

(pay no attention to the devil/mascot at the bottom of the page -- BSD stands for an OS from Berkeley Software Distribution, as in UC Berkeley, my alma mater, right? I think Lugnet runs on BSD, IIRC)

Anti-Islam remarks show a closed mind

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/7062510.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

But beyond the question of Boykin’s fitness to serve, his remarks show that the crucial culture gap over faith is not between those who are religious and those who aren’t, but between those who are 100-percent convinced their religion is the only way to salvation and those who are willing to live with a little less certainty.

On the question of which religion is “true,” I don’t have a dog in that fight. I’ve been a secular person for as long as I can remember and have never felt the need for a faith-based belief system. I find all religions about equally interesting - and baffling.

But I do have a stake in the question of certainty: I think absolute certainty is dangerous. I have moral and political convictions and respect others who do, but I think people should be open to the possibility that their belief system could be just a bit off - or maybe all wrong. That’s something on which philosophers and scientists (at least the good ones) agree.

Hey, Strong bad ain’t got nothin’ on me!!! Population tire is so tired! I am population one! Here’s my flag in yer face...

-- Hop-Frog