 Off-Topic / Debate / 22518
  Hmm, so now state legislatures are practicing medicine...

(URL) case is pretty disturbing. It seems that folks want to go to no end of efforts to keep people alive. Are we headed for a future where we can't have our LEGO because someone feels that the energy that is spent to develop, purchase, and play (...) (21 years ago, 21-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hmm, so now state legislatures are practicing medicine...

So here's an interesting thought exercise related to this... Let's say the husband gets sick of this and brings a gun to the hospital to try and shoot his wife, but gets stopped by a nurse. So then, the state of Florida decides that that sounds like (...) (21 years ago, 21-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hmm, so now state legislatures are practicing medicine...

(...) Rhetorically, you've come to the right place. You also slam-dunked it each time. I have nothing to add. Tragic story from every angle. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 22-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Hmm, so now state legislatures are practicing medicine...

(...) Personally I don't understand why they want to keep her body alive when all of the doctors agree she is brain dead. What good is the empty shell? (...) The interesting part is I was thinking this might actually happen eariler today. (...) Well (...) (21 years ago, 22-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hmm, so now state legislatures are practicing medicine...

(...) Is there a real difference between a pro-lifer and an anti-abortionist? Well, obviously there are different life decision situations, that people might have different opinions about, so hmm, here is the list I can see (I've included some (...) (21 years ago, 22-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hmm, so now state legislatures are practicing medicine...

(...) I was out of the country when this latest twist happened but I'm shocked and dismayed. It seems a clear breach of separation of powers to me. Also, laws are not supposed to be made to apply to a single person. (...) I understand that of the 1M (...) (21 years ago, 26-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)