 Off-Topic / Debate / 22494
22493  |  22495
Subject:
Editorial/Opinion bits on Iraq
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:31:47 GMT

Soldiers ripe to resist?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/20/EDG062AMKA1.DTL&type=printable

PRESIDENT BUSH is busily trying to convince Americans that the war in Iraq is a phenomenal success. Meanwhile, a recent survey conducted by the military newspaper Stars and Stripes found that half of the troops described their unit’s morale as low and a third complained that their mission had little or no value. Many viewed themselves as sitting ducks, rather than soldiers engaged in war.

Edit: I could swear that I recently posted a link to the rate of suicide amongst the troops in Iraq, this would have been followup to that but somehow I couldn’t find my previous post...

Senate Backs Profiteering

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=tct:2003:10:20:285065:EDITORIAL

Former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney was playing fast and loose with the truth when, during a Sept. 14 interview on “Meet the Press,” he claimed that “since I left Halliburton to become George Bush’s vice president, I’ve severed all ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest. I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven’t had now for over three years.”

As it turns out, in 2001 Cheney pocketed $205,298 in deferred salary that was paid by Halliburton. In 2002, he collected $162,392. And he is scheduled to collect similar amounts in 2003, 2004 and 2005. And Cheney has retained unexercised options for 433,000 Halliburton stock shares.

It sure doesn’t sound like the vice president has “severed all ties” to his former firm.

edit: that’s rich!

-- Hop-Frog