 Off-Topic / Debate / 22458
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Justin Pankey wrote:

   I can only imagine which freedoms you feel are being attacked. It’s the social freedoms and divergence from a Christian society in the early 70’s that has lead to the breakdown in family for which we are all now paying a heavy price in America.

The kind of family you are imagining has only existed for a couple of hundred years. We can do without this false conception of “family,” just as we have through most of history.

I would suggest that the common (in the US) notion of the “traditional family” hardly ever existed at all except on TV and in the blurry nostalgia of the people.

And I agree that we’d all be a lot better off if that insidious fiction were abandoned.

Dave!