 Off-Topic / Debate / 22447
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 06:39:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Justin Pankey wrote:

   Further, your lame attempt to equate the early Israelites to current Muslim extremists is actually what is offensive, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt, trying to explain to you that the Tanach is a book of faith, not a record book, etc. Those stories are 4,000 years old; that they occured as written is highly doubtful, but not the point anyway. The point is that Christians have come to the full realization that God is a loving God, and since God never changes, God must have been that way when He pursued a covenant relationship with the early Israelites whether they realized it or not.

John,

I tried to follow this debate as close as possible...forgive me if I?ve missed something. I agree with your general position that God is unchanging, however as far as I read, you?ve only reffered to the God of the Bible as a God of love. I believe it is clear in both the old and new testaments that God is a God of justice and judgement as well as a God of love and mercy. This being the case, there is no disparity between the God of the old testament and His coming as Jesus in the new. Would you agree?

God is indeed just and worthy to judge, but I think we must be very careful when trying to ascertain God’s Will in certain situations. The tendency is to anthropomorphize God, because God is so behind the confines of our limited understanding. God is said to be “jealous”, or “angry” when, if God is unchanging, is not possible. God has reconciled humanity to Himself through Jesus, meaning God loves us all; God loves me and you the same as Saddam Hussein. This is incontheivable but nonetheless true. It is impossible to understand, but it is the core of the Gospel and therefore paramount in my understanding of God as revealed by Jesus Christ.

   Further, the Bible is a collection of books, and as with any literature, should be read with an eye on the type of writing, be it parable, poetry, historical, etc.

Agreed.

   I would not discount statements in the old testament such as those Richard pointed out. Those statements about conquest were written in a way as to be viewed as historical fact leaving nothing up to ?interpretation.? God helped the Isrealites wipe out the previous occupants of the Holy Land because their conduct was detestable to Him.

I am a big believer in discerning fruit. Actions are what it is all about, so when I see people attributing their sketchy behavior to following God, I am skeptical. This is how I can judge the evil actions of terrorists, even though they claim to act in the name of God (and my God besides!).

In my final analysis, Joshua is such an ancient book, so old, so foreign, so removed from our time and history that I have trouble reading it as anything but metaphor for Yahweh’s Hesed (Steadfast Love)

   It seems to me that if you believe the new testament is the inspired word of God, you should embrace the old testament the same way.

Jesus revealed God as God had never done previously (in person). I therefore place prominance in Matthew, Mark, Luke-Acts, and the Gospel of John. As a gentile, I embrace the OT as a context for the coming of Jesus, but in no way feel bound by The Law as it is perscribed therein (I still believe, however, that Jews are Covenant bound with God whether they accept Jesus as the Messiah or not). When I read about the Israelites or “the people of God” in the OT, however, I identify myself as one of them.

JOHN