 Off-Topic / Debate / 22421
Re: Holy crap! Four out of five scientists claim....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:32:11 GMT

   Deists agree to let point 1 be “God”, and it seems to me that Science also needs to let point 1 be something for which it has no explanation or any hope thereof.

I don’t think that science necessarily agrees that there is a point 1. For that matter, point 1 may have been caused by point 2 (a statement which I regurgitate here but cannot further explain, because it has to do with quantum physics well beyond me, though I assert the point as another theoretical explanation of origin).

Hmmm, sounds convenient (point 2 from point 1) and complicated:-)

   Another way to look at it is this: deists sometimes assert that “anything that began to exist had a cause.” Of course, “began to exist” is a clunky, artificial phrase created expressly to put God in a category by himself, since He’s the only thing usually allowed to have always existed. But there are two problems. If God can always have existed, why couldn’t the universe?

Yes, I am conceding this from the beginning.

   After all, the universe is not a thing--it is the set of all things (just the set of all numbers is not itself a number). To this end, the positing of God creates an extraneous step (and a big one); if the universe can in some way have created itself or could always have existed, then no God is needed.

My point is that if you hold that the universe always existed, that is a faith statement as much as any about God having always existed.

   Also, if God is the only thing that didn’t “begin to exist,” then to say that “all things that began to exist had a cause” is circular (and also special pleading (a double standard)), since it says “all things except God had a cause.” On the other hand, if there’s something else that didn’t “begin to exist,” then that thing was by definition not created by God and is thus not beholden to God; therefore, God would not be infinite or omnipotent.

I think that the entity of God by definition would qualify as relevently different from the universe as an entity, and therefore not special pleading.

So, either: A) God is the only thing that didn’t have a cause (using the Principle of Relevant Difference) and He created the universe, or

B) The universe didn’t have a cause, it always existed.

Either way, both statements are beyond the peruse of Science and therefore faith-based.

JOHN