 Off-Topic / Debate / 22420
Re: Holy crap! Four out of five scientists claim....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:26:56 GMT

   But even if science doesn’t ever resolve the question, that doesn’t mean that God is the answer. To assume that God is the answer is a fallacy on numerous levels.

   WRT to the origin of the universe, you say that “...we don’t have the tools to verify our hypotheses. All in good time.” Are those tools even theoretically possible?

That aside, let’s go back to the very beginning of the universe. Stuff comes from stuff, but where did the first, initial stuff come from? It is an illogical, infinite question, completely outside the limitations of logical, finite Science. To even suggest that Science has a prayer (figuratively:-) to even address such a question is sheer cheek in my mind, and this has nothing to do with the status of our current technological abilities.

Well, let’s disclaim once again that science isn’t in the business of proving anything as 100% fact, so I reserve the statement that science will always permit modification to existing theory.

Science hasn’t yet produced a supernova in the lab, but it has provided good theoretical explanations for much of the process. Science doesn’t need to recreate the universe in order to demonstrate a valid theory for the origin of that universe.

I can’t say what the theoretical tools might be, but they will likely be mathematical in nature, much like many of the tools we now use to explain the physical universe.

And it’s not a statement of faith for me to say that science will likely have those answers at some point, as long as A those answers are part of the physical universe and B they can, in principle, be explained.

If they can’t in principle be explained, then that’s the end of that, but it still doesn’t mean that God did it.

   Deists agree to let point 1 be “God”, and it seems to me that Science also needs to let point 1 be something for which it has no explanation or any hope thereof.

I don’t think that science necessarily agrees that there is a point 1. For that matter, point 1 may have been caused by point 2 (a statement which I regurgitate here but cannot further explain, because it has to do with quantum physics well beyond me, though I assert the point as another theoretical explanation of origin).

Another way to look at it is this: deists sometimes assert that “anything that began to exist had a cause.” Of course, “began to exist” is a clunky, artificial phrase created expressly to put God in a category by himself, since He’s the only thing usually allowed to have always existed. But there are two problems. If God can always have existed, why couldn’t the universe? After all, the universe is not a thing--it is the set of all things (just the set of all numbers is not itself a number). To this end, the positing of God creates an extraneous step (and a big one); if the universe can in some way have created itself or could always have existed, then no God is needed.

Also, if God is the only thing that didn’t “begin to exist,” then to say that “all things that began to exist had a cause” is circular (and also special pleading (a double standard)), since it says “all things except God had a cause.” On the other hand, if there’s something else that didn’t “begin to exist,” then that thing was by definition not created by God and is thus not beholden to God; therefore, God would not be infinite or omnipotent.

Dave!