 Off-Topic / Debate / 22305
Re: Israel is Losing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:31:44 GMT

   but when I try to think of counterexamples, I can’t.

I don’t mean to be flip about this very serious issue, but such is the nature of conquest. People of other cultures may not automatically see the advantages of another way of life -- in fact those supposed advantages may be mitigated by generally obvious disadvantages, obvious to members of other cultures. Of course, in another culture the very ideas we hold near and dear may be only partially understood or understood through some kind of logical inversion.

It may be a little dated, but here it is again...

Shakespeare in the Bush

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/idris/Essays/Shakes_in_Bush.htm

edit: the conclusion:

“Sometime,” concluded the old man, gathering his ragged toga about him, “you must tell us some more stories of your country. We, who are elders, will instruct you in their true meaning, so that when you return to your own land your elders will see that you have not been sitting in the bush, but among those who know things and who have taught you wisdom.”

-- Hop-Frog