 Off-Topic / Debate / 22281
Re: The partisian trap in California
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:19:53 GMT

   Really. What if they choose to commit suicide by strapping on TNT and denotating themselves in a crowded family restaurant?

This kind of nonsense is precisely why its not worth discussing anything with you. I can’t even call it a debate if your replies are going to be this moronic. You don’t have any logic behind your position, you just keep asking the same question in a different form as if it has some kind of magic power to overcome a more reasoned argument and response. Basically, you don’t have a point to your reply except to spout your usual deeply bigoted Xtian hate message for all things opposing your personal views.

In our culture, and in almost every other culture I can think of, you do not have the legal right to hurt others. Your news cite discussed cultural values vs the laws of Great Britain. The same guy would be convicted here in the U.S. for the same reason he is being convicted there -- you don’t have the right to hurt others because of your crazed beliefs. Did you even read that cite? The guy comes across like a lunatic that is now trying any and every defense to gain his freedom. He committed a dispicable act and he is going to pay a price for his crime. Honor killings, like bride burning, female infanticide, and female genital mutilation are indeed quite common in many cultures. Most of those cultures now actively prosecute those activities as crimes. I don’t have a problem with that. All of those activities involve hurting another human being and such an action is a crime in my view and apparently the view of many.

I guess it would not be the first time that I have made mention of the pagan ethic: “And it harm none, do as you will.” Do you get that? It’s first emphasis is much like a doctor’s oath: to first do no harm.

If a person wanted to commit an honor suicide, or mutilate their own genitals I don’t have a problem with that. It doesn’t harm another. Seriously, how can you not understand an idea so basic to our legal system?

You make ridiculous statements like: “You want to shack up with a chicken?” Um, no John -- that would be you that suggested this bizarre human, non-human coupling. I remain blissfully free of the kinds of strange sexual fantasies that haunt your mind. I merely defended other people’s right to engage in any mutually consensual human to human arrangements they may choose for themselves.

Your next wildly stupid statement is this one: “Your vision of what America should be is simply not shared by the overwhelming majority of Americans.” To which I must reply: So what?

The U.S. system of democracy is not predicated on the whims of a possible majority. An individual’s civil rights are specifically protected from such abuses by a possible majority. The fact that you do not understand that fact and are constantly arguing against such protections is precisely why you are unamerican -- you don’t understand the basis of our civil rights in the first place! How can you protect or defend what you don’t understand? Right, you can’t. What you do instead is try to protect your own bigoted Xtian-focused worldview.

I think I have suggested this before, but I’ll suggest it again: please do not respond to anything I write here unless you really have something to contribute or unless you can carry your own weight in the conversation. All you do is reveal your increasingly strange thought processes for all to see. If I were you I would be embarassed to defend the ideas that you think have political meaning, when sadly they have almost none.

-- Hop-Frog