 Off-Topic / Debate / 22265
Re: The partisian trap in California
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:45:49 GMT

   Precisely point out Bush’s “lie” about Iraq. Be prepared to show that he knowingly and deliberately, and also specifically (I want quotations) misinformed.

Just because you ask this question repetitiously doesn’t mean it hasn’t been answered already, either directly or by a link to an article somewhere. I have answered this question multiple times in this forum before it was asked by you. And sorry, but I don’t jump through hoops for anyone -- you can search this forum yourself. In doing so, you will find that I have previously noted and explained how and why we get multiple stories from the White House, that there were multiple points in the last State of the Union address that were known to be both false and misleading, and that plainly and simply -- there are no WMD and Iraq was not an imminent threat to anyone. End of story.

Do you have any proof in support of any of the rhetoric on the run-up to war? That’s right, you don’t. Why should I have to prove a negative when you cannot prove a positive?

I find your clinging to the shreds of your party’s baseless rhetoric somewhat laughable, and I expect I am not alone.

   Really? And what about an American muslim who believes he is justified to stab his own daughter on religious grounds?

Religious freedom is deeply respected in this country but I am not sure it extends to assaulting or killing another. The nature of your question ignorantly ignores the fact that most individual rights are conceived of as extending only to a point of not harming others. This is often noted as the Golden Rule: do not unto others as you would have others not do unto you.

Was there a serious point to your question? I mean, what kind of question is that? I presume you are trying to make some huge point that common law crimes like theft, rape, and murder are examples of legislated morality. Your problem is that those examples are based on fundamental ethics so common to so many cultures that I am somewhat pressed to think of a culture that doesn’t ideally try to protect its participants from those kinds of harm. The fact that you might subsequently come up with an example of such a culture doesn’t change the fact that all of these crimes are predicated on harm to others, and no one’s rights extend that far.

Because I try to take you seriously sometimes, although there is often precious little reason to do so, I will try it again another way: what if an American muslim, who believes he is justified in doing so on religious grounds, commits suicide? Frankly, I don’t have a problem with that. I support the right to commit suicide for whatever reason(s) one chooses. Such a right is actually de facto since people indeed commit suicide all the time, having laws against it prevents nothing. I even support carefully monitored assisted suicide for medical reasons.

   Just curious. If you are in favor of marriages other than male-female (remember, this could conceivably be a “gay” marriage), how do you justify drawing the line at 2 person marriages? What about 3? Or 4? Or me and my pet Eric the half-bee?

The last bit is deeply offensive and I think it reveals you in your true colors. I don’t think that this is truly an idle question -- it reveals your deeply contemptuous and bigoted nature for any lifestyle not having your full 100% agreement and support. I find your attitude decidedly unamerican because it is freedom hating.

To answer the first part of your paragraph. No, I don’t have a problem with multiple partner marriages or with communal lifestyles for that matter. It makes no difference in answering this question that I am in an ordinary heterosexual two person relationship myself. I don’t have a problem if other people want to choose something different for themselves from what I choose for myself.

Freedom, John. Haven’t you heard? It’s what being an american is supposed to be about. Privately, you can opine on these subjects as pleases you, but I would expect a true american to support legislation expanding personal freedom when it costs the community nothing to provide that freedom to those that need it.

Can you imagine being denied access to the sickbed of a loved one just because the law does not recognize the nature of your relationship? Is there a point to something like that?

And if you can’t handle that level of freedom for others, let’s take it another way: it would be my opinion that no one should be granted the special status of having a legally recognized marriage -- let it remain a purely symbolic social or religious custom. Why should the state be allowed to pick and choose from amongst the many possible lifestyles those that are to be be given the special status of “legal” marriage. Maybe the state doesn’t need to be in that business at all.

-- Hop-Frog