 Off-Topic / Debate / 22240
Re: Giant Sucking Sound
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:31:05 GMT

   Anyway, I’m in the camp that thinks NAFTA is a good thing. But hey, lower tariffs are always a good thing. Even unilaterally, although bilateral is better and general tariff reduction/elimination is best.

The bigger question is: does free trade, or a free market, really exist in the first place?

My answer is: “No.” As a consequence of that, everything can be seen as pandering to a particular interest group. Even if we had a truly and perfectly “free market” within the U.S., that wouldn’t totally shut down the effects of what happens elsewhere in this increasingly global economy. Once other nations are engaged in trade, U.S. industries are forced to respond to international competition. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Hey, I dislike Shrub vehemently for dozens of reasons. But this issues seems like small potatoes to me -- at least as far as a reason to dislike Shrub. It might be a good reason to oppose globalization and favor greater self-sufficiency in the U.S.

Why is all the fruit I’m buying from South America? Don’t we want farmers to survive in the states? Isn’t having our own robust food supply a public good even if it has a price attached to it?

-- Hop-Frog