 Off-Topic / Debate / 22205
Re: The Blood of Patriots & Tyrants (was Re: Sticking my gun...etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:54:25 GMT

And we go 'round and 'round.  I'm tired but I'm not willing to let you even
remotely think you're in the right whilst your fellow citizens are killed in
violent gun related homicides.  I'm usually pretty willing to be swayed by a
good arguement.

You need to do a cost benefit analysis here. Even one homicide or accidental
death is undeniably tragic, but death, in the long run, is not preventable.
Everyone dies of something some time.

Weigh those 11,000 or 25.000 (tragic) yearly deaths against the loss of freedom
of 260+ million. Is it an acceptable cost?

We accept death in a lot of things. We accept it as a cost of producing coal
because we want electricity. We accept it as a cost of building bridges because
we need new bridges. We accept much higher yearly death rates due to auto
accidents in exchange for the freedom of movement that the automobile gives us.
And on and on and on.

People (might have) died to get you your LEGO. Are you OK with that? Why or why
not? That oil worker who died in a drilling accident might not have had to die
if no one wanted any oil for plastic feedstock. That truck driver who died a day
earlier than he would have from breathing excess carbon monoxide might not have
had to die if no one wanted any products delivered. And so on.

To merely say "these deaths are tragic" as the be all and end all argument,
irrefutable and immaculate, suggests you're not actually analysing things, just
emoting.