 Off-Topic / Debate / 22184
Globalization: The price of dignity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:21:32 GMT

The price of dignity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4758235-103677,00.html

In the past two years, 500 export assembly factories have shut down in Mexico, throwing 218,000 workers on to the street. Their crime was the $1.26-an-hour base wage they were paid by companies such as Alcoa Fujikura to produce auto parts for export to the US. Those wages are now “too high” in the global economy.

edit: link and read on...

In a somewhat loopy way, this is the result of free markets on a global scale. Interestingly, no one wins...

Paying a fair wage for a day’s labor is not only ethical, it’s good business in my view. By paying a fair wage a corporation also creates a new customer base -- a group of persons able to afford the product of their labors.

How does this simple equation fail to make sense?

-- Hop-Frog