 Off-Topic / Debate / 22182
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:13:19 GMT

   And your gun in your house helped how?

What exactly are you looking for here? Anecdotal evidence that a gun and self-reliance are political necessaries? If you don’t believe that then nothing I say will change your mind. I guess I could tell you a story, but then you’d just tell me it was a once in a lifetime bad situation. Of course, when it comes to possibly being killed, once is all it may take.

I have said that I had never hurt anyone with my weapons, but I have been in situations where implied threats became necessary. I don’t care if you wouldn’t have done the same thing in the given situation, I did what I thought was correct and right for me and my loved ones and I don’t need you to cosign it. The fact that the people involved in those situations are still alive today is all the justification I need. When confronted with a threat to my person, or the person of someone near and dear to me, I do not shrink in fear -- I attack like a pitbull. With my hands, a nearby implement, or even with a gun I am absolutely prepared to kill another person if I felt mortally threatened. And I wouldn?t lose a single night’s sleep worrying over some lamer that tried to take me or a friend out of the game, I’d just put that person down as if they were a sick animal. Thankfully, I have never had to kill anyone -- I list but one fractured skull amongst my offenses, and I did that with just my hands.

And that’s the bigger point: human beings, not objects, are lethal! At least potentially...

I have lived in neighborhoods where the police do not come after dark. Seriously. They told me this themselves -- if you feel up to it, google the crime stats of West Oakland, CA. I have had to be my own lifesaver more than once there -- the police are just not there, most likely they are out some place else taking a report or writing up a ticket or maybe even just grabbing a snack. The rest of the time, the police ARE the problem. Your rabid anti-gun stance changes nothing.

I don’t like violence. I am not interested in bothering anyone else. If you meet on the street I am an affable and even obliging person. I just happen to know where the lines of civility are drawn, when those lines have been crossed I have acted in defense of myself and those around me. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Of course, one has to pick and choose the moment -- sometimes you hand the guy your wallet because you know he’ll just take it and walk; sometimes you go for the throat immediately because you can just feel it in your bones that the guy is spoiling for some violence and the weaker you look, the longer you hesitate, the more likely things will end unhappily for you and yours.

But now let’s get back to matters of degrees...

We previously shrugged off the argument that the number of travelling fatalities might be a bigger worry than are the incidents of gun-related deaths; but I was reminded this weekand how it actually *IS* a bigger worry, and after all the numbers are something like 4 times as high for travel-related deaths than for gun-related deaths. It’s not as if volition were not a part of the equation. Travel-deaths are not truly accidental after all...not at all.

So, there I was on the freeway making for the Ren Faire. I can’t tell you how many people tried to unsafely pass me because I was going only 80 mph down the highway. I stopped counting the number of lunatics that were riding my rear bumper because I and the twenty people ahead of me were just in the way of the tailgating ******* getting to where ever the hell he was going in such a hurry. I lost all track of the same number of ninnies passing me up to the right so that they could then take the extremely important position of the place just ahead of me in the endless line of freeway traffic. I bet all of that radically unsafe driving netted them an enormously important 1-2 minutes savings on their driving time per hour -- so risking dozens of lives on the foolish jockeying for position was almost surely worth it ON A SUNDAY!

The argument for gun control is pretty much the same as claiming that automobiles kill when, in fact, you know that it’s really the person behind the wheel. Guns and automobiles are just inanimate objects -- they both need a “triggerman” for things to go wrong. For my part, I see the upside to the presence of these tools at the same time that I see the downside in terms of the fact that lots of idiots wield both guns and autos. But that’s just an acknowledgement that there are lots of idiots running around, which I think we already knew.

Those same idiots even have the right to vote. Some of these selfish, short-sighted idiots even become presidents or mass-murderers.

What you don’t do is create a body of laws just because of whatever the heck the idiots are doing or may do. To me it’s a letter opener, to someone else it might be a killing tool -- it all depends on the idiot holding it.

I can still see a perfectly reasonable use for the letter opener.

-- Hop-Frog