 Off-Topic / Debate / 22058
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:59:29 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/gunaus.htm

Yeah and I can find a dozen sites with the oppisite data. The only conclusion we can draw is that both sides are using only the data that supports their respective arguments and ignoring anything to the contrary. Therefore logically there is no correlation between gun laws and the crime rate.

That’s not quite right. Logically, data cannot be used selectively to demonstrate the efficacy of gun control laws. However, it does not logically follow, therefore, that no correlation exists between gun control and gun crime.

I happen to believe that incidence of gun crime is largely independent of gun control legislation, but I also accept that it is difficult to find objective raw data supporting this belief.

I could be difficult and argue the definition of is*, but I think your logically right. ;-)

There are quite a few things that might be responsible for the decrease in crime, like the increased rate of incarceration of criminals for example. I suppose it probablly isn’t due to any one factor but many together, which creates a statistical nightmare to try and figure out.

-Mike Petrucelli

*I know, I know