 Off-Topic / Debate / 21762
Re: The Crux of the Matter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:39:20 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   Could we place a tax on labor performed abroad? Again, job creation is one of the reasons we allow the legal fiction of the corporation as a person.

Why not tax corporations so that the payroll cost-per-employee is the same whether they employ US or foreign citizens? That is, if the standard US wage is $10.00/hr, and the standard foreign wage is $.50/hr, let’s tax the corporation the difference of $9.50 per-foreign-employee-per-hour. That would eliminate the incentive for exploitive foreign labor, and it would go a long way toward repaying the privileged status that companies have enjoyed domestically.

What would be better in my mind would be if companies that seek foreign labor pay decent (but not US union) wages. That way, foreigners are able to benefit from such partnerships, creating a win-win situation. Even if foreigners are paid half or even quarter the union scale, they would hardly be exploited IMO. I fear that penalizing companies that seek cheap labor abroad would squelch good income sources for foreigners and cheaper prices for goods sold here in the US.

JOHN