 Off-Topic / Debate / 2174
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 06:24:53 GMT

<FHrMEp.Et3@lugnet.com> <FHssu0.zJ@lugnet.com>

David Eaton wrote:

<snip Dave and John discussion of basis of morality, logic vs emotion>

Anyway. Development of the mind, w/ respect to morality.
The 1st real desire, by humans (and probably most/all animals) is the want to
be happy. That's not saying much ("we want what we want") but it's fundamental.
The infant (probably still in the womb, even) experiences both pleasureable and
unpleasureable experiences. It realizes that it wants pleasure. However, even
at this stage, what makes one infant happy differs from what makes another one
happy. One is content to be left alone, one requires constant attention. This
is probably linked to genetics, I'd guess.

What about the desire to survive?  I would say that this is the #1 desire of
animals, and residually, of humans, too.  I, however, don't know if desire and
instinct are interchangeable terms or not.  Instinct is a wild concept to me; does
it direct the animal to merely survive, or  is it broader than that?  Is instinct
a perfect moral code?  For animals I'd have to say yes.  But we are animals,
too...

The next step towards a higher morality that the infant makes is more or less a
logical one. It sees itself in the mirror, or it sees its own body, sees other
bodies, and begins to conclude that maybe these other things around it are
other selves-- other living beings with their own consciousness. Again, with
reflection back to Hegel, it's not an immediate jump. The developing mind
doesn't suddenly leap to the conclusion that there are other beings with
consciousness.

The next jump towards morality is again an emotional one. I'd guess it stems
from human/animal nature, but I can't say, really. That is a desire for other
beings to achieve their own wants. People enjoy other beings experiencing
happiness. You might counter with the example of power hungry people who want
to see other people suffer, but I'd say that these people are stuck back at
self-concern. They have a want for power. Some people want to make other people
suffer because they want to exercise their control. It makes them happy to be
in control. They've missed a step I haven't gotten to yet, actually, that of
equality.

This next step, equality, is the slowest of all to develop. (That's what I
admire about the idea of Jesus-- I tend to think of him having a very hightened
sense of equality.. more so than anyone _I've_ ever met) As a child learns that
other people are people, just like him/her, s/he begins to realize that the
good of another person achieving their wants is equal to s/he achieving his/her
wants. I think that this is really where justice starts. The child realizes
when it hurts someone else, that the other person is feeling pain; an equal
pain to the pain it feels when it is hurt. Hence the idea of rights. Take the
right of property. People usually like property. The child likes having its own
room that it knows will always be constant, and that it has control over. It
takes pleasure in having a favorite stuffed animal that the child can count on
always being there, and on being in one piece, in the same condition it left
the toy. By acknowledging a right to property, we essentially have a social
agreement. "I won't take your things, but you can't take mine." This limits the
child from taking/destroying/whatever other people's property (a slight loss);
but prevents others from doing the same to his/her property (a bigger gain, I
would argue).

I think the Libertarians are fixated here, and think this is their ultimate goal.

The next step is one towards charity. When one realizes that by depriving
him/herself of something, they give happiness to others. Of course, by
equality, this only works when the happiness that results outweighs the loss by
you (and by others, in some situations). Again, this is where Jesus wins big.
Extreme sense of charity that I've never seen the likes of anywhere. A fine
ideal, even if I don't think it's possible.

Dave, I like the way you have shown the progression of morality because it implies
to me that, as we mature, we become *more* human and less animal.  I think it is a
process that takes place between the ears and fleshed out in our daily lives; a
journey to being fully human along which are many stops.  Most do not reach this
step of charity which I also see reflected in Jesus' teaching.  True, His ethic is
a radical one, but that leads me to believe that it is the *ultimate* one as
well.  By the same token, I can see how morality can be relative to the moral
development of the person involved.  But I see God calling everyone to this higher
morality as reflected in Jesus' teaching, especially in the sermon on the mount
(see Matthew 5-7).

<snip>

Anyway, this has been fun.

It has been fun to read your (lengthy;) posts as well.  Thank you for the time and
effort you have put into them.  *I* have appreciated them:-)

-John Neal

Laterz,
DaveE