 Off-Topic / Debate / 2166
Re: Voluntary, private discrimination (Was: Disparicies in Sentencing)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:57:16 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote
<moz1@ihug.com.au> wrote:
Depends on your country. In the USA perhaps they should hold the inmate on
death row for longer. Sentence them to 10 years on the row, then death.
In countries that don't yet torture criminals there is always the option
of introducing that, or simply prolonging the existing punishment.

Don't yet torture criminals?  Are you saying that the death penalty is
torture?  Or are you saying something about the way prisoners are
treated in the American prison system?

Both, actually. Don't you think it's inhumane to hold the threat of death
over someone, randomly giving them hope of survival then taking it away,
never setting the actual execution date but always varying it? And the
way your prison system works seems to involve a lot of callous brutality.
Not that most other systems are better, it seems to be in the nature of
prisons. Perhaps the idea I've seen of using tourist resorts would work
better, as it would probably be cheaper if nothing else :) My main objection
to prison is that it is effectively a training school for criminals.

Whatever gave you that idea? Do you think racism can only be directed
against minorities or something?

Spike Lee (and others) believe that, from what I hear.

I hear the KKK doesn't believe that racism is a problem either. Why would
someone in the business of inciting racism want to claim a word with such
negative connotations? It's a position I've only ever heard from people
at the extreme end of the "positive discrimination" arguments.

Moz