 Off-Topic / Debate / 21368
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:54:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Well, I happen to see humanity as bigger than that. Whereas some look with fear and paranoia, I look with clearer and better eyes than that.

So do I, as whole. I’m talking about Shrub -- a guy that has the whole world on the edge of it’s collective seat. Who’ll be next in our drive towards empire? Who’s going to be preemptively nuked?

I’m supposed to think that world is a great place and sit here and sing “Kumbaya” with you while Shrub threatens everyone that is not with him because they are SO obviously against him?

I thought you recognized and opposed this threat to the peace, Kooties? Do you think harsh words will be enough to topple a power that goes beyond Shrub? I mean, I don’t know that it goes beyond Shrub, I assume it does because so many nutcases support him. Did you notice the events surrounding the last presidential election? Democracy? The guy was appointed president in the weirdest election fiasco of my lifetime.

How can you be so sure I can trust my own government? I mean, I want to -- I just have my doubts...

-- Hop-Frog

My doubts are on record--the guys policies are morinic at best and he should be booted out of office. Once all the ‘facts’ are exposed, you will see “Iraqi-gate” for what it is--a fiasco right from the start--botched intelligence, misrepresented facts about SH and his ‘imminent danger’, and dragging the ‘coalition of the willing’ into a war that they, or the world could afford. And yet somehow the power of the gun owners of America failed to thwart this right from the start, or any point along the course. What are you waiting for?

Oh let me answer this one--If and when it’s found out that this whole thing was misrepresented and that there was ‘selective’ intelligence, and that there was no ‘clear and present danger’, it will be the power of law, the power of the vote, the power of the checks and balances in place that will change things, not the power of your gun in your house. It happened with Nixon--a fact that you consitantly selectively overlook. It happens every 4 years when you vote--no guns are needed for the loser to leave office.

But then I have faith in the system that we’re building. So, I’d say, in the final analysis, I have more faith in Jefferson’s overall ideals than those that focus on one aspect and vehemently adhere to it at the cost of the rest.

It isn’t perfect, but it certainly is better than ‘mob rule’.

Dave K