 Off-Topic / Debate / 21345
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:10:18 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   What it does do is reduce the number of fatalities/injuries from bullets.

Lots of things can kill you -- like automobiles for example. We keep dangerous things around because they are useful -- like automobiles for example. People can be taught to use dangerous yet useful things without harm to anyone, or at least with greatly reduced risk to others -- like automobiles for example.

How is a gun any different?

What’s the purpose of a car--to get me to my job, to get me home, to wash on Saturday and watch it rained upon on Sunday. What’s the purpose of a knife? To open boxes, cut my food, chop the cabbage I threw into my crock pot yesterday. What’s the primary purpose of a bat? To hollow out and put cork in it, to hit a little ball out of a park, to beat my carpet and get the dust/dirt out of it. What’s the primary function of wsooden chopsticks--to eat east Asian food, to build log cabins whilst waiting for the food to arrive.

What’s the purpose of a gun? What’s the *primary* purpose of a gun? What’s the intent of the gun owner when he’s weilding a gun. What is it? To look good? My uncle has a musket from our little war b/w our two countirs displayed on his mantle. So yeah, I guess a purpose of a gun is to look good. However, I rather doub that my uncles gun could be used to shoot someone (considering it’s been rendered inoperative after sitting under the water that long, as well as the fact that it has concrete in the barrel.) Protection? Tell that to the neighbour who just had his wife shot by the gun stolen out of your house. Oh wait, then we’re back to the primary function of a gun, and that is to *shoot* something--target, animal, person.

Yes. Protection. Why do you give an example of an unintended use of a gun? By that reasoning we should ban driving due to all of the auto related fatalities (far more BTW than deaths by handguns...)

Reading comprehension 101--the purpose of a car is not to cause any harm. The purpose of a gun is. If you want to weigh in on *accidental* deaths of automobiles, then we’re off on a differnt topic. Shooting someone with a gun is not an accident. Protection? By doing what? Oh right, shooting the culprit. Give your idea of an ‘intended’ use of a gun that doesn’t have a bullet going thru or near a person.

Protection through deterrence. Ask any criminal whom they would rather robb-- an armed person or an unarmed person. Of course it’s true that guns can be lethal-- that is precisely why they are effective deterrents.

   Stop with the “Well axes kill.” It’s not germaine. It’s a straw man, it’s whatever you want to call it--an axe is used to hew wood, cut rope, whataveyou. Axe manufacturers aren’t thinking that, “hey, we’re making these axes to cause bodily harm on people”. Guns, well, that’s their *intended* use.

By the same token, gun manufacturers aren’t thinking that, “hey we’re making these guns but somebody might steal one and use it to cause bodily harm on people.” The intended use is deterrent. Protection. Nobody wants to kill anyone. Just mind your own business and things will be fine.

THey are thinking that thse things fire bullets intended to strike a target. That’s what the *primary* use of a gun is. And when you have your personal hand gun in your purse/duffelbag/holster and you’re carrying it around with you--why? For your obtuse idea of protection. If someone down the street who also has a gun decided to shoot you, what protection is your gun? Take away the guns and you don’t need to worry about your flawed idea of protection. Nobody wnats to kill anyone? Then why are you carrying around a gun? ‘If someone wrongs me, I’ll shoot ‘em!’ Sounds to me like the sheer act of just having a gun strikes your reason--oh right, your reason is flawed in the first place.

You are assuming that gun carriers are crazed killers with itchy trigger fingers. Try looking at it from a criminal’s POV.

This is reality, Dave. There will always be guns no matter how hard you try to destroy them all.

Because there will always be obtuse, short-sighed people who cling to a ‘security blanket’ a la Linus VanPelt. For those of us who have grown up and have entered a more civilized world outside the schoolyard, we realize that there are better ways of dealing with problems.

You assume too much, because not everyone is or ever will be “civilized”.

   As long as you cannot guarantee that the gun will stay in law abiding hands, then all guns outta the pool.

Again, your wish is pure fantasy. All your efforts to control guns will only result in the disarming of law-abiding citizens, that’s it!

No, if there are less guns in ‘law abiding’ homes, there will be less chance for guns to get into the hands of crooks.

Not a logical conclusion, or at least the only conclusion. What if there are simply better locks on homes? Wouldn’t that also mean that there would be less chance? How about Pit bull ownership?

   If there are no guns in stores, then there’s no way for guns to get on the black market that way. It’s irrefutable, but you won’t listen to it ‘cause you don’t want to hear it. You want to cover your ears and natter, “I’m not listening!!!” and we’re back to schoolyard schemes.

Your assertion simply is not true. What about guns from foreign sources? (only too happy to fill the void)

   You are hopelessly naive and simply a clueless idealist.

Ahh, no refuting the point--how so unlike you, John. Your concepts about guns is obtuse.

That may be but it still doesn’t change the fact that guns will never go away.

How can I refute such irrational assertions? “If only there weren’t any guns”. I say if only people would respect others rights all of the time, we wouldn’t have the need for guns. What good is such an impossible statement?

Once again, Dave, reality is that guns will never go away! That is reality. Deal.

When you grow up, we’ll be here. The ‘dreamers’ got to the moon first, they got to the other planets first, they, well, basically got everywhere first and dragged the unbelievers, kicking and screaming, along. Now we have Teflon ;)

Keep dreaming, Dave. Meanwhile, the rest of us will carry on in a little thing called reality.

JOHN