 Off-Topic / Debate / 21344
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:38:43 GMT

Okay, fine -- if your point is that the purpose of a gun is to kill or destroy a thing, then that’s basically an undisputed fact.

That it is the only utility of the gun is a separate matter.

I still think that the gun’s power for destruction is the very reason some people are eating venison burritos while still others are quietly sitting peacefully in their homes. If you want to dispute that, go right ahead. But you will have to prove to me that a revolution can be fought without expressly lethal arms.

Powell is over there talking about tank technologies, refusing to address the issue of whether a tank encased person must at some point leave the tank and therefore be susceptible to a bullet to the head. Maybe the tank can be attacked en masse, forcibly opened, and the persons inside killed. And, I am not myself opposed to the private ownership of some pretty nasty stuff -- stuff that could pierce armor. The invincible military and armaments argument is Powell’s straw man. I don’t buy it for one second. And sure, Canada is a great place and all -- but if things were to go south on y’all, I hope Powell would be the first to recall my warning about not giving up the guns. Gun use is a right and a duty -- talk to the Swiss.

As Mike has pointed out, where people have lost their right to arms they can be herded like sheep and put on the train to the death camps. How can such people resist their armed masters?

And because you don’t have an answer to that, for me that ends the conversation -- I’m not saying that I won’t participate in it,I am just saying that I have never heard the point properly disputed.

And as I have said before, I am living in the U.S. -- where things are looking pretty weird to me right now. Not terrible, but weird (with special emphasis).

-- Hop-Frog